Home   About   Contact

Friday, May 30, 2014

Vegan Chewing Gum?


Vegan gum is something I've recently discovered. But does that mean regular gum isn't vegan? Believe it or not, the gum you're chomping on right now probably isn't even vegetarian.
Most chewing gums, like Trident, have an ingredient called Glycerol. Glycerol is essentially animal fat. There are some vegan sources of glycerol, which is called vegetable glycerol. The animal derived glycerol can be found in cosmetics, soaps, toothpastes, ointments, medicines, and brake fluids along with chewing gum. (what?!? BRAKE FLUID? That surprised me, as well)


After discovering the un-vegan-ness of chewing gum, my first instinct was to find a vegan alternative. I stumbled upon Pur Gum and immediately ordered it. To my suprirse, this vegan gum turned out to be more flavorful than most non-vegan gums. Granted, the flavor doesn't last nearly as long as, say, Extra, but it does the job well.


Pur Gum is aspartame free, gluten free, vegan, nut free, diabetic friendly, Swiss made, and non GMO.

What is aspartame? Aspartame is a low calorie sweetener. It has been debated whether or not this sugar substitute is, in fact, harmful to humans. In my opinion, I'd rather not consume a sweetener that some scientist claim to be "the most dangerous substance for consumption". Thumbs up to Pur Gum for being aspartame free!

Find out more over at pur-gum.com

xo, Sarah Holt

Follow me on:

5 comments:

  1. What??? I had no clue that gum had animal fat in it. That's sort of interesting yet disturbing in a weird way. I've seen vegan gum before, but I have never tried it. I may give it a go now. :0

    I recently entered a poetry contest, and I would love it if I got the vote of a fellow blogger. Please and thank you!
    http://tlng.me/1juBpK6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a try and let me know if you come across any other vegan gum brands! (I also voted for your poem!)

      Delete
  2. Huh. I had no idea about chewing gum not being vegan. I mean, what?? Unbelievable. Maybe it's better to switch to mints/peppermints?
    I followed back on gfc and bloglovin:) Keep in touch. xx Maja

    http://modern-muffin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sarah! So you have a vegan diet, that's awesome. I know its not an easy diet to keep, I've tried it. I think I lasted about a week. I don't know if you heard of her before but there's this girl who has ebooks with vegan recipes and shopping lists, she also has some awesome workout ebooks, I've bought about four of them. They're only $10 each, you might want to check her out. She has a instagram and website she is known as way of gray aka sophie gray. Let me know what you think or if you've already heard about her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post!xxKind of in love with your blog:)
    I would love you to visit my blog,and follow if you want!:)
    Keep in touch xoxo
    Love,Antonella <3

    ReplyDelete