Home   About   Contact

Monday, April 21, 2014

DIY Earth Day Terrarium


In the spirit of Earth Day, there are lots of fun things we can all do to help make our environment just a tad bit greener. Want to bring the green indoors? Terrariums are essentially miniature ecosystems we can witness right under our noses. 

Terrariums are super easy to make and even easier to maintain.


What You'll Need:
Any Size Glass Jar/Bowl
Potting Soil
Activated Charcoal (also known as activated carbon)
River Rocks
Terrarium Plants


Helpful Tips: 
I was able to find both the river rocks and the activated charcoal in the fish section of Walmart. 
I was able to find the glass jars at my local thrift store.

What You'll Need To Do:
Fill bowl/jar about an inch thick with river rocks
Pour a thin layer of activated charcoal over the rocks


Fill the rest of the bowl with soil (leaving about an inch or more of the jar unfilled)


Insert the plants sporadically throughout jar


And that's it! 


In order to keep these beautiful creations beautiful, occasional waterings are necessary. Depending on the plants, a minimum of 4 hours of light is also necessary. Other than that, terrariums pretty much take care of themselves.

These Earth Day Terrariums make the perfect center piece, desk ornament, science project, and all around cool looking plant. 



Fun fact: terrariums not only look super cool, but they also purify the air which make them AMAZING for people like me who have allergies.

xo, Sarah Holt

10 comments:

  1. Some facts I didn't know and thanks to you, I just learned... They look so cute♥

    Lakshmi in Trance

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really cool! Im such a plant dork and love having greenery around, can't wait to give these ago when I get home next month :)

    inthecity-93.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely share a picture with me if you do try this DIY!!! I'd love to see how yours turn out!

      Delete
  3. great blog! ♥
    I have a small request, could you click on the links under the picture?
    SHEINSIDE

    I would be very grateful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I love plants in general :) Also, this looks so cute and wonderful. It's a fantastic idea, Sarah!

    Sofie x
    Little green Sofie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh this is so cute! I've been so bored all day and I'm already worried what I'm gonna do tomorrow, but I do now. Thank you for the great idea, this is just TOO cute! <3

    xx Kim
    (https://kimjadelouise.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I know this has nothing to do with your post (cute idea though) but I've just started a blog and was wondering how you got the links to instagram and twitter and that, and also how you follow peoples' blogs? I hope this doesn't sound rude:-)

    ReplyDelete