Home   About   Contact

Monday, March 24, 2014

DIY Mother's Day Mugs


Completely stuck on a creative and cute gift idea for your mom (or mum) this Mother's Day? Moms everywhere love homemade gifts. It's a scientific fact. These DIY Mother's Day Mugs are 100% customizable which make them the perfect Mother's Day gift.

Before we dive straight into this DIY, Mother's Day here in the United States isn't for a few more months. However, Mother's Day in the United Kingdom is in a few days which is why this post is so early (for us Americans, at least). I have another Mother's Day DIY gift idea post coming in May closer to Mother's Day in the US!


Now, here's how to make you're very own customized mugs!

What You'll Need:
White Ceramic Mug
Bake-On Ceramic Paint (acrylic paint + glossy coat is not permanent)
Black Sharpie or Sharpie Pen (colored Sharpies tend to change color when in the oven)
Various Paint Brushes
Stamps or Stencils (preferably stencils; it's really hard to stamp mugs)


What You'll Need To Do:
Clean off mug
Paint mug using stencils, stamps, or freehand (if using stamps, use the paint, not stamp ink)
Remember, your mom will appreciate the effort, no matter how sloppy the handwriting!!
Turn on oven to 360°F (180°C)
DO NOT PREHEAT (this can crack the mug)
Immediately after turning on, place mug in oven
Allow mug to bake for 30 minutes
After 30 minutes, let mug and oven cool down
Once cool, remove mug and you're done!

After baking, your mug is now microwave and dishwasher safe (only if you use ceramic paints or sharpies)

"Foxy Momma"

"♥ u"

"Owl Always Love You"

"Mummy Dearest"

Other Cute Sayings For Mother's Day Mugs:
"World's Greatest Mom"
"#1 Mom"
"I love you to the moon and back" w/ painted moon and stars
"You're purrrrfect" w/ painted cats
"I LOVE YOU"
"You're Cool"

No matter your age, your mom will love this gift. Like I said before, moms love ANYTHING handmade.

xo, Sarah Holt

8 comments:

  1. I've always played with the idea to make a personal mug, but I never did because I didn't know what to draw or write on them. And because I'm not blessed with a steady hand, I gave up the idea. But what a clever idea to use stamps!! (Why didn't I think of that!) Your mugs look awesome! Very original, creative and super nicely written! Just WOW! Can I have one? I love the foxy momma :D Haha, no, I really want to make some mugs like yours now!

    Sofie x
    Little green Sofie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like them!! Using stamps was a lot harder than I thought it would be. It took a few tries but in the end turned out great. I recommend stencils over stamps. The great part about this DIY, if you mess up, everything wipes away within a minute after writing/painting (even the Sharpies)!! You should definitely give this a try!!

      Delete
  2. Aww those are so cute! Definitely like the homemade idea!! :) I love making cards for different occasions too so this'd be another creative way of making something unique and thoughtful! You're mom'll love them! :)

    Cachoo Joo // CACHOO JOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making anything homemade! I make cards all the time, too!

      Delete
  3. Such a cute idea :)

    Thanks for the gift inspo!

    http://thelittlepinkblogg.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Thanks for thinking it's cute!

      Delete
  4. Love the results!! - They are sooo cute! :))

    sisepuedee.blogspot.dk
    -Milla

    ReplyDelete