Home   About   Contact

Monday, February 10, 2014

Vegan Heart Shaped Chocolate Covered Strawberries | Recipe


In the spirit of Valentine's Day, despite my previous post, I decided to be festive and show you guys how to make super easy and delicious chocolate covered strawberries. Romantic, right? Well I mean, if you want it to be romantic, go for it. I'm going for the "healthy enough but also covered in chocolate" type snack. There's a bit of a twist on this recipe, if you stumbled upon the title, you'd already know what that twist was.... anyway, here's how to make the cuties.



What You'll Need:

Heart Shaped Strawberries! 
JUST KIDDING! Regular Strawberries are fine and not imaginary

Melting Chocolate
(I used vegan chocolate (Shoprite brand melting chocolate is vegan!))

What You'll Need To Do:

Wash the strawberries.


Cut the stems off the strawberries.



 Cut the strawberries in half long ways.




Cut a little triangle on the top of your strawberry.



You can end the recipe here and have a really healthy, really sweet snack.




BUT WHO ARE WE KIDDING?!?!?

Melt chocolate in a double boil* (alternatively microwave chocolate on low heat)
Just remember melting chocolate can be really difficult. It can get frustrating at times. Don't get discouraged if your chocolate drys in the pot really quick. It happens.



When chocolate is completely melted and yummy, you will be tempted to eat the chocolate right then.
Don't do that.

Dip strawberries in the melted chocolate (I used a skewer, but any utensil will work)
Tip: Dry the strawberries with a paper towel before dipping.



Set strawberries to dry on parchment paper (I used tinfoil and it worked swimmingly)



I jazzed a few up by sprinkling some pink sprinkles on the strawberries while the chocolate was still hot.
Once strawberries are dry, EAT! Or give them as a Valentine's Day gift. I mean, I'd rather eat them all then but whatever.






*A double boil is when you have water in a pot boiling and an empty bowl that fits partway on top of the boiling pot. Your chocolate would go in the empty bowl on top. This prevents the chocolate from burning and believe me, nothing will stink up your house quicker than burnt chocolate.

If you make this recipe at home, I'd love to see pictures! Tweet me pictures of your Heart Shaped Chocolate Covered Strawberries on Twitter @xosarahholt


xo, Sarah Holt



4 comments: