Home   About   Contact

Friday, January 24, 2014

The Skeptic's Guide to Thrift Shopping


You may be a bit skeptical just at the thought of purchasing someone's old belongings. I admit, I was a little weary at first, too. Now, much wiser than my younger self, I am a very strong believer in the famous phrase "one man's trash is another man's treasure".
Before I start talking about my adventures in thrift shopping, I'd like to clear up a few misconceptions about this wondrous sport.
1. Thrifting does not, in any way, make you cheap. The word thrift by definition means to spend money wisely and not wastefully. Society may portray thrifting as an undesirable form of shopping, but if you ask me, thriftiness is a trait I think we all need to learn.
2. Thrifting is not dirty. Sure, you may not be certain what the owner of the clothing/objects have done before you bought it, but let me now introduce you to the beautiful inventions known as washer machines and dishwashers. Beautiful creations.
Okay, now that those common misconceptions are out of the way, let's proceed with the fun stuff.
Most of the items I have in my possession are little knick-knack type objects that I wouldn't have been able to find anywhere else if someone hadn't given it up to a thrift store (God bless their hearts because I love my little knick-knacks (ps I am not religious at all. I still bless their hearts)). Not only are the items extremely unique, they were super cheap. You can definitely find a couple treasures in the midst of a few heaps of junk if you look hard enough.
There is the slight chance, though, that you can accidentally purchase a haunted object and end up being eternally doomed and haunted by a frighteningly terrifying looking old lady ghost who, for some reason, holds a grudge on the living. But that's, like, a 1 in 1 million chance so let's not worry about that, okay? Great.
Since I probably instilled a newly discovered fear in your minds, I want to move forward and look at the majestic side of thrifting. Below are a few items I've purchased from thrift stores. These things are so beautifully beautiful, they're worth the risk of being haunted.










If those pictures didn't win you over, well I'm not sure what will.

xo, Sarah Holt


7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I can't believe you got all those from a thrift store! They are super cute. One mans trash is definately one other mans treasure. I've recently just started blogging again please could you take a look at my blog and give me a cheeky follow??
    http://daniellestone26.blogspot.co.uk/
    Danielle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great finds! I'm definitely a big supporter of buying secondhand, we have so much waste and just general STUFF in the world, it's pretty nonsensical to always be buying new. It's just contributing to environmental disaster really, especially when you consider that stuff bought secondhand usually doesn't come with all the packaging new stuff comes with as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've never really thought of it in the "saving the environment" sense... That's a really good insight. Even more reason to thrift!

      Delete
  3. Imagine a fawn statue!
    cuuute!
    Make sure to check out my blog:
    majotron.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Thrift store shopping is soo fun! Here's what I found recently...

    http://2talkofmanythings.blogspot.com/2014/02/thrift-store-finds.html

    ReplyDelete